Monday, April 25, 2016

I'm Gonna Take the Unity Certification!

Scheduled later today! Unity just started offering the certification, and for right now there's just this one certification. They suggest that they'll later offer Professional Programmer, Professional Artist, and Expert certs, but for now it's just the one. I figure it'll serve as proof that one's at least gone through a set of tutorials and has played with all of the major bits of the engine. As someone that's been a Senior Engineer for over a decade it might seem odd that I'm taking the cert, but since I haven't yet gotten paid for any of my Unity work I'm actually in the target market. (The other major cohort would be college students or new college grads.)

I've been going over review material for the past week and I took extensive notes, with the idea of sharing them here. Once I take the test, I'll go back over each of the sections and review them to make sure they're actually relevant for the test. Look for those posts over the coming weeks.

One of the weird things to note is that you're required to bring a wifi-enabled laptop to the test. I guess a Chromebook would work, but I doubt that an iPad would. Dunno. I expect to see laptops, since that's what all the kids use these days. :P

The scheduled time is two hours, but evidently the test starts a half-hour after the start of that block, so the test itself I guess is limited to 90 minutes. Prior to that is "make sure your laptop works for this," I guess. I looked at the refund/retake policy and it seemed to be "you can only take the test once," so failing it doesn't allow you to freely retake it but I have no idea if technical difficulties established prior to the start of the test would suffice.

It does cost $250. For a starving post-college or non-college student that's a good chunk of change, but, again, I think the certification itself is great proof that you actually know your way around the engine.

So, who here is thinking of taking the certification? Or has already taken it? Raise your hands!

No comments: